Glendalough is one of Ireland’s favourite tourist destinations. The name translates to ‘Vally of two lakes’, and is home to a monastic settlement from the 6th century, founded by St Kevin. There are several ruins and monuments you can visit, such as The Round Tower, or The Priests House. There are also many walking trails within the valley and around the lake. It is an excellent free destination.
Distance from The Bridge Tavern: 25km
Black Castle was granted to Strongbow in 1169 by Henry II after the Norman invasion. It was burnt down and attacked by local Irish Chieftains, the O’Byrnes and the O’Tooles several times. The ruin overlooks the sea and is a beautiful vantage point for views of the coast and the town.
Distance from The Bridge Tavern: 750m
Powerscourt Gardens was recently voted no.3 in National Geographic’s World’s Top Ten Gardens. Dating back to 1731, there is over 47 acres of gardens, lakes, statues and walks, including the Japanese Gardens, Italian Gardens, and Pepperpot Tower. It is also home to Ireland’s highest waterfall, Powerscourt house, a golf course and an Avoca shop and cafe.
Distance from The Bridge Tavern: 31km
Arklow Maritime Museum
Arklow Maritime Museum is home to many different shipbuilder’s models and half models, plans, and paintings of Arklow sailing ships by Ruben Chappell. There are also photographs of the port dating back to the 1800s. It has been open for 30 years, and is always adding new exhibits and displays. They cater for group bookings, and admission is only €5.
Distance from The Bridge Tavern: 26km
The first Avoca Handweavers was set up in 1723 in Avoca village. At first it was only a local resource where farmers could spin and weave their wool, however in the 1920s, it went international, with rugs and wool being sold throughout Europe and America. In 1990, the food and fashion departments were developed. There are three Avoca’s near us, the original in Avoca village, and another in Kilmacanoge and Ashford.
Distance from The Bridge Tavern: Avoca - 22km, Kilmacanoge - 26km
Kilmacurragh Gardens is a 52 acre Botanic garden dating back to 1712, surrounding the ruins of a Queen Anne style house. It has plants from around the world, including China, Chile and the Himalayas, and there are guided tours available through wildflower meadows. Admission is free, and they are open all year round.
Distance from The Bridge Tavern: 10km
Mount Usher is a 22 acre award winning garden. It has a tree trail guide to make sure you see the most popular sites, and is also home to an Avoca cafe and the Courtyard Shops. They cater for groups by appointment.
Distance from The Bridge Tavern: 6km
Avondale House was built in 1779, and is the home of Charles Sewart Parnell, one of Ireland’s greatest political leaders. There is over 500 acres of woodland (including Ireland’s tallest trees), and walking trails ranging from 1 to 5 hours long. The house is beautiful, with many original pieces of furniture, plasterwork, and the Charle Stewart Parnell museum.
Distance from The Bridge Tavern: 19km